It may not be an anniversary specific to ERCU, but the Usher Hall is a place close to our hearts and it was wonderful to be involved in the festivities.
In March 1914 three concerts took place over two days to celebrate the opening of the Usher Hall as Edinburgh’s new concert venue. The funds to build the hall had been donated by local whisky merchant Andrew Usher who unfortunately died some years before the plans were realised. The official opening was carried out by his widow on 6 March 1914.
Both the Edinburgh Royal Choral Union and the Scottish Orchestra (predecessor of today’s Royal Scottish National Orchestra) were involved in the opening concerts and happily were reunited 100 years later for the centenary celebration in 2014.