In 1911 permission was given to use the title “Royal”. The society’s application for this distinction was warmly supported by two of Edinburgh’s Members of Parliament, Mr C E Price and Sir James Gibson, who were both honorary vice-presidents of the society. “His Majesty was pleased….to command that henceforth the Union shall be styled ‘The Edinburgh Royal Choral Union’”. So, by royal command of George V, in August 1911 Edinburgh Choral Union became Edinburgh Royal Choral Union. In order to celebrate this royal charter, ERCU planned two "Royal Celebration" concerts while also tipping a nod to two royal weddings that had been celebrated in 2011. Venues for the concerts were the familiar St. Cuthbert’s in Edinburgh and the Church of the Holy Rude near the castle in Stirling. There was a varied programme of music, old and new, all of which had a royal connection. The royal events for which the music was written spanned several centuries, from William Byrd’s homage to Queen Elizabeth 1 to Paul Mealor’s ‘Ubi Caritas’ which had featured in the wedding service of Prince William and Catherine Middleton earlier in the year. Michael Bawtree directed the ensemble and regular accompanist Morley Whitehead played the organ.